Thursday, February 10, 2011

Adaptive Challenge

Right from the start, I am interested in Mary Hess' Engaging Technology in Theological Education: All that we can't leave behind. And no, this is not me kissing up to the professor of my class.

I cannot express how excited I am to read citations and references to Harvard professor and scholar Ronald Heifetz. In our new world of constant change, of unanticipated context upheaval and the exponentially increasing speeds of information, we do indeed face an adaptive change. How are we to cope?

In an adaptive challenge people "must work together in ways that have very little to do with technical skills, but much to do with relationality and meaning-making, with habit and behavior." [Ronald Heifetz, Leadership without Easy Answers, 1994, 73-84; cited in Mary Hess, 2] I must confess my excitement about this concept and view comes in large part from my interest in leadership, and the field literature. Heifetz's view resonates well with Jean Lipman-Blumen's, one of my professors from the Drucker School of Management in Claremont. http://www.cgu.edu/pages/1832.asp

The question of how to cope, live, and respond in an ever changing, interdependent world is one not easily answered, nor should it be, but something to keep in mind throughout life.

No comments:

Post a Comment