Friday, November 9, 2012

Some theological reflections on the neighbor

Most of you know that I have a deep interest in a theology of neighbor love.  It undoubtedly shapes my posts in this blog and the themes and topics which I engage here and in my jobs and involvement in the world.

In the previous post I provided this morning, I intentionally did not touch on theology.  Now though, I would like to open up the theological imagination for a moment.  If you have not read the previous post, I refer to a story expressed here.  In the post I mention how I hope beyond hope that I am not like the woman a few rows ahead who is so focused on taking off on time that she asks people to stop making a scene.  Such a move is a passive way of dismissing another, and amounts to ignoring the very scene which we are called to act and respond in love to.  It reminds me immediately of the Good Samaritan scenario.  What do we do when we are passing a victim.  Better yet, what do we do when we are facing a victim in the very act of abuse? Do we turn our heads and walk away, or do we swallow our fear and stand up, hoping that another would do the same thing should we ever face such a situation ourselves.

I don't care what the reason for a disagreement is, there is NO justification for abuse- physical, emotional, theological, etc.  I firmly believe this, but I wonder, would I be just like that lady who chose to turn away because I was so focused on myself and my own needs of the day?

We are called to love and serve our neighbor.  Martin Luther goes so far in his explanation to the fifth commandment to say that by not doing what we can, we are effectively committing murder towards our neighbor because we are not using our resources (as few or many as they may be) to help someone who is in need.

So returning to this scenario, does the same passivity exist in our daily lives as it did on that plane prior to takeoff? Worse, does it exist in our congregations?  I wonder if by not engaging and addressing this, by choosing to remain passive, we are ourselves committing just the same sin towards our neighbor in need. We are not extending the grace and welcome that we have all been extended by God in Christ. We are not acting as a reconciling community, called to come together despite our human differences, because we are one body in Christ.

How can we be one body in Christ though, if we are not willing to stand up for our neighbor and stranger, no matter how different they might be from us?  After all, they are part of the same body of Christ, and they are created in the image of God, just like we are.

Many congregations have decided that the best way to stay together is to "agree to disagree" and to continue on.  I myself have been a proponent of this. But after reading the post again, and thinking deeply about it, I can't stand in this group anymore.  We are called to engage, not to disengage. We have something beautiful as ELCA Lutherans called "bound conscience." I respect this.  I wonder though how many of these congregations who have "agreed to disagree" actually took the time to unpack what a "bound conscience" means.  Did these congregations think deeply about how it relates to loving and serving each other in the congregation and being open and welcoming to the larger community and world which we are called to serve, preach and teach to, and most importantly be a part of?

I don't have the answers here. I just feel really moved today, and think its time to stand up for our neighbor. Being passive is as good as a judgment in my neighbor's eyes, and when you get down to it, it looks like the same in mine too.  Aren't we called to extend a hand of grace and welcome? If we really believe this, this certainly has some deep implications and offers a true pause.  What do you think?




1 comment:

  1. Timothy- I'm so glad I discovered your blog today! I was thinking this morning about what it means to live out our faith as Christians and how our daily interactions with others can be an expression of God's love for us. Reading the story reminded me of how easy it is to dismiss others as not being our neighbors because of perceived differences. How do we stand in love and solidarity with those who are being abused without demonizing those who are taking advantage of them? Something I'll continue to ponder. Thanks for getting me thinking.

    ReplyDelete