Friday, October 19, 2012

Fall in Little Norway

This past week, I have had the chance to spend some time back "home," by myself. (Well, not really, see I have shared the home I grew up in with two dogs, two cats, and a bird. We make for an interesting group).

It's been strange to be the only human here all week. It's been strange to be away from Allison for a week. This is now officially the longest we have been a part since getting married.  I have missed her terribly!  To pass the time I have tried to be productive on church work, work for the firm I am interning for, and doing some other consulting work while here.  I think I have been somewhat productive.

The point to this post though is I guess I realize that wherever my wife and I are together, is truly my home now. That means that for now the Twin Cities are really my home. I really haven't called Poulsbo my day to day home for nearly 7-years since I left for PLU in 2005. It's kind of surreal.  It's nice to see that Poulsbo hasn't stopped growing, but its also nice that it hasn't lost its charm either.  There is just something about this place which can make it a nice place to get away and breathe for a bit to center oneself. I think that's how I have let it treat me this week. I am hoping that when I return to Minnesota tomorrow I will be more: centered, focused, and assured. The job hunt continues, but doors and opportunities continue to open.  God's leading us, and we're making ends meet. I have no idea what the next chapter is really going to look like, but the one we are in right now is certainly exciting.

I could say that I am concerned, depressed, and stressed about not having a full-time job yet. But you know what, I would be lying if I did. I have this bizarre sense of calm now that it's all going to work out. Maybe this is really what a sense of abundance feels like?  I know God's here with us, and even though I am not sure where we are heading in this wilderness time, I know God is guiding us through it.

As the leaves continue to fall, and the colors continue to turn, take some time to smile and breathe in deep.  Drink some hot chocolate or hot apple cider.  I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I know that today, right this minute, I am loved (because Allison tells me multiple times each day) and that's really all that matters (plus Taizley and Trea are asleep on either side of me, and that's kind of comforting too). My hunch is that because you are reading this, you are loved too.  (Obviously, loved by God, but probably loved by me and many others too.) Isn't that just a comforting feeling?

Peace and blessings to you on this Fall Evening from Little Norway!

[picture credits to the "Historic Downtown Poulsbo" site on Facebook] 

2 comments:

  1. Honey! Why do you say these things and make me get all sobby? Well, internally sobby, this is so sweet and wonderful to see you process externally!! :) But really, I'm glad you feel hopeful and loved, because you are loved by me and God and Jesus and your family and friends. Home is waiting for you! Patiently! Mostly! :) I have so many new places (mostly in St. Paul) to show you that I discovered this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this post from you to start my day. I have similar feelings about Tacoma now, although Auburn itself never was the same beautiful, restorative place for me that Poulsbo is for you (though I also find that home is a good place for me to re-center myself). I am drinking some hot chocolate as I type this comment!

    ReplyDelete